Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
281 Kcal Fat
This traditional, heart-healthy Indian dish combines spinach with potato and spices and can be served as either a main dish with steamed basmati rice or as a side dish with curry.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 green chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 750g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 400g spinach leaves roughly chopped
- Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for 2-3 minutes in the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Stir in the turmeric and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder and a little water, stir and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. You may need to add a little more water.
- Meantime cook the spinach in a large pan until wilted. Add to the potato mixture, season with black pepper and serve.
Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as a side dish.
Leave the potatoes unpeeled (scrub clean) to increase the dietary fibre in this recipe.