Red Super Soup
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
230 Kcal Fat
This soup came about as a result of a great conversation between our helpline team. It has a base of tomatoes, lentil, onions and garlic but the great thing is you can add other ingredients to suit. We included all the leftover “red vegetables” in this version and it turned out a fantastic deep red and pretty tasty too. It can be served chunky or pureed to a smooth soup, whichever you prefer!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 250g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 50g red pepper, roughly chopped
- 100g red lentils, precooked in boiling water
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, (pureed if you are not going to blend the final soup)
- ½ litre vegetable stock made from 1.5 cubes of reduced salt stock cubes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper
- Flat Leaf Parsley, to garnish (Optional)
- In a large pan, sweat the onions and the garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until softened, taking care not to colour the onions.
- Add the celery and carrots and continue to stir and cook for a few minutes on a low heat
- Add the red cabbage, red pepper, cooked lentils, pureed tomatoes and vegetable stock and simmer until all the vegetables are cooked and tender, about 10 minutes
- You can use a hand blender to puree the soup if you prefer or serve it with chunky vegetables in a delicious tomato soup
- Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and season with black pepper before serving in warm bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley, if using and serve with thick slices of wholemeal bread.