Mediterranean Vegetable Lasagne
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
282 Kcal Fat
This layered pasta dish is a heart-healthy alternative to the traditional version with delicious roasted Mediterranean veggies replacing the meat ragu and combined with a lighter but still creamy sauce - Buon Appetito!
- 2 aubergines, cut into chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, cut into strips
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 450g courgettes, sliced
- 225g lasagne sheets
- 30g parmesan cheese
For the sauce:
- 900ml skimmed milk
- 60g olive spread
- 70g plain flour
- 125g reduced fat hard cheese (we used Edam)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Mix the aubergine, onion, pepper, garlic and half the oil in a bowl. Transfer to a large roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan. Fry the courgettes for 4 minutes until browned.
- Remove the roasted veg from the oven and stir in the courgettes. Lower the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- For the sauce, bring the milk to the boil in a pan and set aside. Melt the olive spread in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute then remove from the heat. Gradually stir in the milk then bring to the boil whilst stirring and then simmer gently for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cook the lasagne according to the packet instructions.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and season with pepper. Spoon a thin layer over the base of a lightly-oiled ovenproof dish, cover with 4 lasagne sheets, overlapping them slightly. Top with half the vegetables, then one-third of the remaining sauce and another 4 sheets of lasagne. Repeat this process once more and then spread over the remaining sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden.