Ma Po Tofu Noodles
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
347 Kcal Fat
Give tofu a go with this tasty, filling recipe combining fresh vegetables, smooth noodles and soft tofu in an Asian-inspired sauce.
- Medium thick noodles (4 portions of egg noodle nest or use rice noodles to keep recipe vegan-friendly)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 4 stalks spring onion
- 50g ginger, sliced, chopped
- 1 aubergine, chopped in squares
- 2 courgettes, chopped
- 350g tofu / 1 pack, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- Ground pepper
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 100ml hot water
- 100ml vegetable stock (using ¼ cube)
- 50g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Coriander leaves
- Optional - a few drops of chilli sauce or red chilli pepper flakes for extra heat/spicyness
- Prepare the corn flour mixture by putting 2 tablespoons of the flour into a small bowl and add the cold water. Stir and leave aside. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions and drain and cover to keep them warm.
- Over a medium heat, cook the garlic and ginger in sesame oil for 2 minutes until slightly coloured. Add the aubergines, courgettes and spring onions and cook for another 3 minutes until softened.
- Pour the vegetable stock over the mixture and let it simmer whilst stirring. Place the tofu cubes and chopped cashew nuts into the mixture. Add the soy sauce, honey and 100ml hot water. Then drizzle the corn flour mixture to thicken the surrounding sauce whilst continuing to stir. (If desired, add a few drops of chilli sauce or use chopped up red chilli peppers to add some spice.) Season with some ground pepper.
- Serve the noodles in a bowl, with the Ma Po tofu mixture on top, and some coriander leaves.
Get all the latest news and recipes, sign up for our e-newsletter