Lemon & Herb Chicken with Chickpeas
Preparation time: 35 minutes including 30 mins marinating time
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
421 Kcal Fat
Bursting with freshness, this satisfying dish makes a great mid-week supper. Quick and easy to prepare, but if you can, prepare the marinade in the morning to allow the chicken to marinate all day for enhanced flavour.
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 chicken breasts, skins removed
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
100ml chicken stock
4 spring onions, chopped
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp mixed fresh herbs, chopped
2 tbsp light crème fraiche
Pepper to taste
- Prepare the marinade by taking ½ the oil and mixing with the lemon rind, lemon juice, garlic and turmeric.
- Score the chicken breasts and then marinate in the oil for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remainder of the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the chicken breast (reserving the marinade). Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Now add the marinate to the pan along with the chicken stock.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Add the chick peas, spring onions, chopped herbs and crème fraiche to the pan, bring back to temperature and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
Serve with green vegetables and brown rice.
Get all the latest news and recipes, sign up for our e-newsletter