Veggie Cottage Pie
Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
402 Kcal Fat
A beany veggie twist to the classic that's full of heart-warming goodness: low in saturated fat and salt, rich in fibre and plant proteins, as well as providing 2 of your 5-a-day.
For the Mash
900g white or red potatoes, peeled, cut into 5cm size cubes
4-6 tbsp Alpro Soya No Sugars alternative to milk
15g (3 tbsp) coriander, chopped (optional)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the filling
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
300g carrots, peeled & cut into 1cm dice
1 reduced salt stock cube, dissolved in 300ml boiling water
500ml carton tomato passata or 400g canned tomatoes
2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
380g carton cooked Kidney beans, drained & rinsed
500g fresh or frozen soya mince
Good pinch pepper
- For the mash. Cook the prepared potatoes in boiling water until soft to the point of a knife, then drain and mash with the Alpro No Sugars, coriander, and seasoning with pepper. Cover with a lid and put to one side.
To make the filling
- Heat the oil in a medium size pan and cook the chopped onions, crushed garlic and diced carrots over a medium heat for 15 mins. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, kidney beans and soya mince and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Season with pepper to taste then pour into a 31 x 24 cm ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the grill on a medium – hot setting.
- Pile the mash on top of the pie and drizzle with the oil and grill until the top is golden brown.