Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Nutrition: Per serving
248 Kcal Fat
A plant-based UCLP© twist on a classic. This trifle uses fresh fruit and soya alternative to yogurt and soya custard to keep saturated fats down.
75g caster sugar
75g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp boiling water
400g fresh strawberries & raspberries
525g Alpro Vanilla Dairy Free Custard
400g Alpro Greek Style Plain alternative to yogurt
25g flaked almonds
3 tbsp orange juice & 3 tbsp Amaretto liqueur or 6 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan, 180C conventional, gas 4. Grease and line the base of a 24 x 23 x 6 cm square tin.
- Separate the eggs. Place the whites into a medium bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks. Continue whisking whilst adding the sugar gradually, one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar is added, whisk in the yolks one at a time.
- Sieve the flour over the mixture and, using a metal spoon, fold it in until well incorporated.
- Finally, add the vanilla extract and the boiling water around the edge of the bowl and carefully fold it in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook in the oven for 12-15 mins, until well risen and ‘springy’ when touched. Turn out on to a greaseproof or parchment lined wire rack to cool.
- Put fruit in a small saucepan with 4-6 tbsp water. Cook over a low heat for a few minutes until soft but able to hold their shape. Take care not to let the water evaporate or allow the fruit to become too soft. Once cooked, put to one side to cool.
- Once the sponge is cooled, cut into 9 pieces, and then cut each slice horizontally through the middle, so you have a total of 18 pieces of sponge. Using half your sponge slices, line the base and sides of an 18-20cm x 10cm deep, glass bowl.
- Evenly soak the sponge with the orange juice and liqueur if using. Spoon half of the cooked fruit over the first layer of sponge. Place the final pieces of sponge on top of the fruit then cover with the remaining fruit.
- Spoon over the Alpro custard and top with a thick layer of the Alpro Greek Style alternative to yogurt.
- Toast the flaked almonds by placing them in a dry shallow frying pan and cooking them over a medium heat, turning them with a spatula to prevent them burning. As soon as they are slightly coloured remove from the pan to cool. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the top of the trifle.