Get cooking with the kids over Easter…
I was recently asked by a journalist, “If you could only recommend one thing to improve your health today, what would it be and why?” My response? Learn to cook for a heart healthy diet.
Despite our obsession with TV cookery shows, it seems less and less of us are choosing to cook from scratch. One survey found 1 in 8 people avoid cooking from scratch. According to another, 1 in 4 of us can only cook three meals from scratch. A couple of reasons given for this were not knowing how to cook and lacking the confidence in preparing home cooked meals.
But you’re never too old, or too young, to get cooking. The benefits are numerous. Not only can you create more delicious, nutritious foods, packed full of heart healthy ingredients, but there’s also the social aspects. Eating a home cooked family meal together is good for the mind, body and spirit. It gives the entire family time to talk about their day and has been linked with children doing better at school, less obesity and a lower incidence of certain mental health issues among adolescents.
Getting children to cook from an early age is such a valuable life lesson as it:
- Gives children an appreciation about food and nutrition and helps establish lifelong healthy eating habits
- Teaches them about food safety, as well as building maths, science, literacy and fine motor skills
- Builds their confidence in the kitchen, making them more likely to experiment with different foods and recipes
- Builds relationships, as it fosters cooperation
One of the best ways to teach children is to get them into the kitchen to prepare healthy meals together. I had great fun working with a friend’s daughter on creating an Easter recipe. I wanted to make chocolate nests, but traditional recipes seemed to have considerable amounts of saturated fat and sugar. We had lots of discussions on what alternative ingredients could be used to make these healthier and the result is here. So this Easter holiday, whether you’ve got the grandchildren or children, have fun making these together and enjoy.
- FH is a global health problem- FH Awareness Day 24th September
- Dr Pete Green is the new Chair of HEART UK
- UK NATIONAL SCREENING COMMITTEE REJECTS CALLS FOR UNIVERSAL CHILDHOOD SCREENING FOR INHERITIED HIGH CHOLESTEROL
- Emergency heart attack and stroke centres are still here for you- Jules Payne interviews Dr Ricardo Petraco
- Emergency heart attack and stroke centres are still here for you- Guest blog by Dr Ricardo Petraco
- A new cholesterol busting drug hits the headlines
- HEART UK responds to Dept of Health announcement on new cholesterol drug
- Volunteer for HEART UK...
- Is there such a thing as Healthy Diwali?
- National Cholesterol Month
- Child screening for cholesterol to find FH
- We are recruiting a voluntary chair position to join our Board of Trustees
- HEART UK latest radio advert
- Gene associated with bad cholesterol linked to early-onset Alzheimer’s disease
- What the London Marathon means to me
- Eggs and Cardiovascular Disease – What’s the Story?
- Lynne Garton joins HEART UK fight against heart disease and high cholesterol
- Daily Mail exposes "crackpot conspiracy theories" of the statin deniers
- Why we do what we do
- Is it as simple as ABC?
- Medical Misinformation: Vet the Message!
- We are recruiting!
- High cholesterol: Six ‘super foods’ to lower cholesterol and reduce heart attack risk- HEART UK featured in The Express
- Eating fried food and the link to heart disease- BMJ study
- One serving of fried chicken a day linked to 13% higher risk of death, reports CNN
- The NHS Long Term Plan
- Heart attack - the BEST exercise to prevent deadly symptoms revealed. HEART UK in The Express
- Four foods to help lower your cholesterol, reduce heart disease risks- HEART UK in The Sun
- Specialised Services Commissioning Policies published
- Cholesterol warning - just a handful of this ‘superfood’ could prevent high cholesterol - HEART UK in the Daily Express
- Thousands of heart attacks and deaths could be prevented by patients taking higher doses of statins
- Photos from the FCS Day of Action
- FCS Day of Action 5th December 2018
- Photographs from the Parliamentary launch of HEART UK's State of the Nation report 24th Oct 2018
- State of the Nation report launch
- HEART UK Conference
- HEART UK says BBC coconut oil claim not to be trusted
- Set up a Patient Support Group Meeting in your local community
- Saving Scottish Hearts for Valentine’s Day
- Why it's your heart that matters this Valentine's Day