Lynne Garton joins HEART UK fight against heart disease and high cholesterol
Hello, I’m Lynne and I’m delighted to have joined the HEART UK team as one of their Dietetic Advisor’s. Since I’ve started, it’s been a busy couple of months getting to know everyone and learning all about the charity’s fantastic work.
I’m absolutely thrilled to be working alongside such awesome, dedicated and enthusiastic people.
A little bit about me. I’ve been a Dietitian for what seems like forever… OK 30 years! I’ve been fortunate in that my career has taken me on many different journeys… starting off in the NHS and ending up working for myself. In between I have worked with a medical nutrition company, the media (both TV and print), co-authored two books on plant-based eating, written about nutritional matters and presented at health professional conferences… the list goes on.
Latterly I’ve been involved in the exciting area of sustainable diets, i.e. a diet that’s both good for our health, as well as the planet’s. What’s that got to do with cholesterol I hear you ask. Actually, quite a lot, but that topic is for another day.
My philosophy is to provide nutritional advice that is based on sound science yet is practical and realistic for today’s way of life. There’s so much ‘noise’ out there in the nutrition world, particularly around cholesterol, it can seem a minefield to know what to do for the best.
I hope to help sort out the fact from fiction. To inspire people to get into the kitchen to cook wholesome, nutritious meals. I plan to write regular blogs on a wide range of topics, from science to the kitchen. I’ll be adding new recipes to the website, helping to update our resources and working with our healthcare colleagues to keep up to date on the latest research around diet and cholesterol.
Plenty to keep me going!
- HEART UK latest radio advert
- Gene associated with bad cholesterol linked to early-onset Alzheimer’s disease
- What the London Marathon means to me
- Get cooking with the kids over Easter…
- Eggs and Cardiovascular Disease – What’s the Story?
- Daily Mail exposes "crackpot conspiracy theories" of the statin deniers
- Why we do what we do
- Is it as simple as ABC?
- Medical Misinformation: Vet the Message!
- We are recruiting!
- High cholesterol: Six ‘super foods’ to lower cholesterol and reduce heart attack risk- HEART UK featured in The Express
- Eating fried food and the link to heart disease- BMJ study
- One serving of fried chicken a day linked to 13% higher risk of death, reports CNN
- The NHS Long Term Plan
- Heart attack - the BEST exercise to prevent deadly symptoms revealed. HEART UK in The Express
- Four foods to help lower your cholesterol, reduce heart disease risks- HEART UK in The Sun
- Specialised Services Commissioning Policies published
- Cholesterol warning - just a handful of this ‘superfood’ could prevent high cholesterol - HEART UK in the Daily Express
- Thousands of heart attacks and deaths could be prevented by patients taking higher doses of statins
- Photos from the FCS Day of Action
- FCS Day of Action 5th December 2018
- Photographs from the Parliamentary launch of HEART UK's State of the Nation report 24th Oct 2018
- State of the Nation report launch
- HEART UK Conference
- HEART UK says BBC coconut oil claim not to be trusted
- Set up a Patient Support Group Meeting in your local community
- Saving Scottish Hearts for Valentine’s Day
- Why it's your heart that matters this Valentine's Day