The NHS Long Term Plan
Setting out the NHS's key objectives and priorities for the coming decade, the NHS Long Term Plan includes specific reference to cholesterol and familial hypercholesterolaemia and HEART UK are delighted.
The NHS Long Term Plan commits to expanding access to genetic testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH). NHS England aims for 25% of people with FH to be identified through the NHS genomics programme over the next 5 years, this equates to 37,500 lives.
- The Plan sets out the ambition for people to routinely know their AF, blood pressure and cholesterol levels with the help of digital technology.
- NHS England, working with local authorities and PHE, commit to improving the effectiveness of the NHS Health Check.
- The creation of a national CVD audit for primary care is included in the Plan to identify patients with high risk conditions requiring treatment.
The inclusion of a specific reference to FH and a commitment to improving its identification is a triumph. This demonstrates that the profile and awareness of FH is continuing to rise. Events like the HEART UK FH Day of Action, the #FindFH campaign and the support from people with FH have helped elevate FH to receive the attention.
It is also important that raised cholesterol has been included alongside AF and blood pressure as high-risk conditions that the NHS must improve the identification and management of. This was also a central ask of HEART UK’s activities throughout 2018 and included in the State of the Nation report and launch in Parliament during National Cholesterol Month.
- A new cholesterol busting drug hits the headlines
- HEART UK responds to Dept of Health announcement on new cholesterol drug
- Volunteer for HEART UK...
- Is there such a thing as Healthy Diwali?
- National Cholesterol Month
- Child screening for cholesterol to find FH
- We are recruiting a voluntary chair position to join our Board of Trustees
- HEART UK latest radio advert
- Gene associated with bad cholesterol linked to early-onset Alzheimer’s disease
- What the London Marathon means to me
- Get cooking with the kids over Easter…
- Eggs and Cardiovascular Disease – What’s the Story?
- Lynne Garton joins HEART UK fight against heart disease and high cholesterol
- Daily Mail exposes "crackpot conspiracy theories" of the statin deniers
- Why we do what we do
- Is it as simple as ABC?
- Medical Misinformation: Vet the Message!
- We are recruiting!
- High cholesterol: Six ‘super foods’ to lower cholesterol and reduce heart attack risk- HEART UK featured in The Express
- Eating fried food and the link to heart disease- BMJ study
- One serving of fried chicken a day linked to 13% higher risk of death, reports CNN
- Heart attack - the BEST exercise to prevent deadly symptoms revealed. HEART UK in The Express
- Four foods to help lower your cholesterol, reduce heart disease risks- HEART UK in The Sun
- Specialised Services Commissioning Policies published
- Cholesterol warning - just a handful of this ‘superfood’ could prevent high cholesterol - HEART UK in the Daily Express
- Thousands of heart attacks and deaths could be prevented by patients taking higher doses of statins
- Photos from the FCS Day of Action
- FCS Day of Action 5th December 2018
- Photographs from the Parliamentary launch of HEART UK's State of the Nation report 24th Oct 2018
- State of the Nation report launch
- HEART UK Conference
- HEART UK says BBC coconut oil claim not to be trusted
- Set up a Patient Support Group Meeting in your local community
- Saving Scottish Hearts for Valentine’s Day
- Why it's your heart that matters this Valentine's Day